Rose Hill Cemetery, located on South Miami Street in South Bend, is a part of Temple Beth-
El, having been incorporated into the Temple’s operations in 1999. Rose Hill Cemetery is the
oldest Jewish burial ground in South Bend. It was established in 1859 by the Hebrew
Society of Brotherly Love, which originally bought land for a Jewish cemetery along the St.
Joseph River near Niles Avenue. The land for a new cemetery was purchased in 1883 on
South Miami Street, and graves were moved to the new site.
Rose Hill is the only Jewish cemetery in the South Bend area that permits burial of cremated
remains, and permits burial of non-Jewish family members alongside their Jewish family.
Rose Hill is open to the entire Jewish Community, though members of Temple Beth-El are
given preferential treatment in the purchase of cemetery lots.
Day to day functions of the cemetery, including most inquiries, are handled by the Temple
Office Manager. Please call the office at 574-234-4402 if you have questions about the
cemetery’s operations or wish to purchase cemetery plots.
The cemetery is managed by a voluntary committee of lay members who report to the
Temple’s Board of Trustees.
Judy Spigle, Co-chair
Marzy Bauer, Co-chair
Rabbi Karen Companez (ex-officio)